Frequently Asked Questions
Boehringer Ingelheim has compiled a list of the questions frequently asked by visitors of our website. If you do not find the answers to your queries here, contact us directly.
What is the Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund philosophy?
Our investment philosophy is founded in four main principles
- Activating success for those companies and entrepreneurs we support
- Providing Added-value expertise beyond capital investment through our own extensive drug discovery, scientific and managerial expertise
- Committing to Ongoing investment with those entrepreneurs and companies with whom we work
- Offering Opportunities for the future for portfolio companies to enter into strategic partnerships with the Boehringer Ingelheim Research and Development organization
Ultimately, our goal is to add value to those companies we invest in, delivering success for them and generating revenues to finance further new investment to benefit patients.
In what types of business is the Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund interested in investing?
The Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund intends to invest in groundbreaking therapeutic approaches and Digital Health approaches that have the potential to advance patient care and meet unmet medical needs.
Does the Boehringer Ingelheim Investment Fund have a particular therapeutic or geographical focus?
No. Our primary aim is to search for significant enhancements in patient care through innovative and pioneering science. These include but are not limited to:
- Immunomodulation, esp. Immuno-Oncology
- Tissue Regeneration, e.g. stem cells, NCEs, biologics
- New Therapeutic Modalities, e.g. genetherapy, cell-based therapeutics
- Microbiome, esp. approaches based on NCEs and biologics
- Antiinfectives with new mechanism of action
- Patients Care Management, e.g. diagnosis and monitoring of disease, prevention of onset and progression of disease (incl. digital biomarkers), population management
- Medication adherence
- Digital companion therapy
- Digital therapy as stand alone
All applications for funding that support our primary aim will be welcomed. In addition, we recognise that innovation is not restricted by geography and welcome applications from entrepreneurs worldwide.
What stage of development will the Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund finance?
The Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund will be seeking to provide initial investments in seed or series A funding.
Opening investments of up to €3 million per venture will be made at the early stage with subsequent staged investments made to align with each venture’s progress, up to a total of €15 million per venture over its life.
What role will the Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund play in its portfolio companies?
The Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund intends to play an active role in the companies it supports, not only in either a Board or Board Observer capacity, but also through the value-added expertise it will be able to offer which will be crucial to improving the clinical and commercial outcome of the venture.
How does the Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund manage conflict of interest for both portfolio companies and Boehringer Ingelheim?
The management of conflict of interest is extremely important, both to protect the interests of the entrepreneurs and Boehringer Ingelheim. The highest levels of confidentiality and secure ethical walls are established to ensure that the interests of all parties are protected while maximising the expertise of both parties.
How can I apply for investment in my business?
Please send your business plan and supporting materials to email@example.com. For additional questions please contact our office in Ingelheim, Germany.
What criteria does the Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund use to assess applications?
Initial evaluation of applications is based on the business plan and supporting materials (technical and financial) provided by the applicant. Further review with the investment team will be subsequent to this and will take the form of more detailed presentations and a robust due diligence process.